Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Third Draft is Done. Long Live Draft Four.

I've almost finished my book, which is great timing now that I've stopped blogging and alienated all seven of my readers.

This morning I typed my final paragraph, and will now return to the beginning and do it all over again - hopefully once and for all. And to avoid the awful, ponderous temptation to keep editing forever, I'll be reading it in real time and highlighting passages to work on later.

The point is, I'm aiming to publish it in a month or so. The working title was 'Autobiography of an Idiot', but that has since changed to 'It's Egg & Cress, do you want it?' - which obviously requires no explanation and will probably change again anyway.

So there's the update. After years of trying to write a great novel, I gave up in favour of expanding this blog instead. I thought it would just take a few months to reorder everything and add a bit of filler, but it wound up being more like two years - mainly because I wanted to write something "worthy", plus I've added entire travelogues from my backpacking trips that needed to be trimmed.

So yeah. Sorry for the delay. 105,000 words of awkward navel-gazing introspection coming very, very soon...

11 comments:

Jo said...

Looking forward to it!

Redbookish said...

Yes, looking forward to it. I am fascinated by blogs as a version of writers' diaries and Bildungsroman.

Z said...

It's the prospect of having to read the damn thing and editing it that makes me know I'm never going to write a book. You're a better man than I am, Fweng.

daisyfae said...

Congratulations! Not a trivial accomplishment!

Exile on Pain Street said...

I like the second title. I'll buy it, either way.

luna said...

i will buy your book as i can't remember the beginning middle and endish of your blog anyway, it's been so long.
So it will be fresh again for me!
But no review on amazon or type unless i get a mention!Sponsored lit that's called!

Z: hahaah z that's easy, you're not even a man!
I mean you're not a man.Sorry.

luna said...

about the title: what's wrong with the current one :i hate the earth by fwengebola.

the egg cress one ,people will confuse it with a cookbook or a caff guide.

Z said...

I'm not a man? Oh bum. That accounts for a lot, though maybe not my tiny attention span.

fwengebola said...

Jo ~ Thank you! I'm just sorry it's taken me over 8 months to reply to a comment in a post that was clearly untrue.
Redbookish ~ I had to look up Bildungsroman, and I guess that's what it is. It's killed me, too. I ended up writing two more drafts. It's a painful addiction.
Z ~ I'm really not, and thank you. You've very kind. I hope everything's okay and will soon be stalking to catch up.
df ~ You're telling me. This particular version's taken three years. I thought it would just be a few months :(
Exile ~ Yes! That's now three definite sales (Two if I don't include me)
Luna ~ Oh you'll get a mention. You all will.
Z ~ I remain embarrassed as to how long it takes me to reply. This bears no relation to your comment. I just wanted to mention it.

fwengebola said...

Luna ~ Whoops, missed your second comment. I hate the title 'I Hate The Earth' for both my blog and the book. Soooo miserable. And that's saying something, from me.

Z said...

Well, I haven't commented on your last couple of posts, to be fair. It was all a bit ghastly here. Still, onwards...