Wednesday, February 06, 2013

An Unnecessary List of Documentaries No-one Asked For

Okay, so it's a new year and I haven't even mentioned it. I didn't even comment on Christmas, so just take it as read that I attempted to eat my own bodyweight in crisps and pork chipolatas every day in December. Oh, and January too.
New Year's was in a pub in King's Cross. I went out with my New Year's Eve attendee* Edward, got drunk, and went home.
(*Now in new Summertime hols Edward too)

So for the rest of this year, I've decided now I've regained most of the weight I lost (no idea how that happened) that I'll throw myself into this damn, neverending 'book' of mine and complete a draft. It will not be fiction, as I have to concede I can't do fiction. So instead I'm expanding on my blog, writing, if you like, my autobiography - 'cos that's what the world really wants, right?
I have to do this. It's driving me mad. And once I've done it and eaten myself up to 16 stone and beyond, I'll go back on a diet.
I think I just like having something to battle against.

But I'm posting today to bring you what's been stopping me creatively all these years; documentaries. This is what's curtailed my doing a good night's write; scouring YouTube to watch things instead.
In no particular order:

North Korea

'Propaganda' - Fascinating documentary from North Korea about Western propaganda, that is in itself propaganda. Made for viewing outside the DPRK as I can't imagine their squalid little junta showing conspicuous consumption and modern foreign cities to their impoverished, imprisoned citizens




'Welcome to North Korea' - excellent primer on this secretive Stalinist state


Politics

'Rob Newman's History of Oil' - Okay, so this is stand-up, but it's the best Rob Newman's ever done, with some interesting facts (or "points of view" if you'd rather call it that)



'Inside Job' - Frustrating Matt Damon narrated documentary about the 2008 crash, and those who profited before and since


'The Power of Nightmares: the rise of the politics of fear' - Amazing documentary from Adam Curtis about the "War on terror" and radical Islam:

'Century of the Self' - Also from Adam Curtis, this four-part documentary series examines how Sigmund Freud's work, via the world of 'Public Relations' his nephew invented, have taken Freud's concept of the 'self' to manipulate us into giant, easily led consumerwhores

History

'Britain's Real Monarch' looks into the possibility that Edward IV was an illegitimate child, thus barring a claim for himself and his descendants (i.e. Queen Liz and her entire clan of crooks). The programme then traces the theoretical legitimate line to where the 'real' King of England resides, Jerilderie, in New South Wales, Australia



'Robespierre and the French Revolution' - with lots of acting if you prefer your documentaries dramatised 


Religion

Jesus Camp (Apologies for the Portuguese subs) - notorious documentary about a kiddie camp for Christ. In America. Obviously

'The Bible's Buried Secrets: Did God have a wife?'- Just brilliant. Utterly brilliant. And presented by my wife a woman I like and will never get to meet



'The Bible's Buried Secrets: The Real Garden of Eden'


'The Story of God pt 2 of 3: No God but God' - focussing on the three monotheistic Abrahamic faiths of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. And lots of fun that is.



Geeky Linguistics

'The Story of English' - A beautiful and informative 9-part documentary from the mid-80s that looks at the history and evolution of the English language. Only for the committed but well worth it, you'll have to click on episode 1 part 1 below and follow the YouTube links (on the actual YouTube page) to continue to parts 2 to 7, repeating 8 more times for the other episodes. So that's over 60 clips in all but it's bloody worth it:
Part 1 (of 7) of episode 1. Then you're chasing clips...



One-off feature length must-see documentary

STOP PRESS: Absolute tearjerker I saw a few years ago and have literally just found. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father is a must see. I won't say anything else, other than it's a very tender and personal tale, and a perfect example of how you tell a story. And of course it's all true...

 

So there we go. Enjoy! I said enj...

Hello?



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen Baraka or Samara? They're not so much "documentaries" as they are "films" but they're breathtakingly gorgeous to watch.

The Unbearable Banishment said...

So you haven't spent your time exclusively stuffing your face with crisps and pork chipolatas. (Whatever the hell those are though, no doubt, their equivalent is in my cupboard.) This is progress. This is good to see.

TestingTesting123 said...

I don't believe that "Propoganda" is either from or for North Korea despite what the film itself claims. Rather I think it is a western film intended for western audiences that used its premise to build hype and to present itself as "an outsider's view inward". And I am not alone in these beliefs.

luna said...

At least you're getting a lot of value for money out of your machine.
\and it's like going back to evening classes, further education.
\i didn't know they had so many good programmes these days on the telly, i might get one now , feel envious...

fwengebola said...

Anon ~ That's in the list, thanks.
UB ~ Pork chipolatas, spectacular when hungry and drunk (you, not the chipolatas)
TT ~ Interesting, but if not NK, then who? And why? South Korean communists? Actually, that's possible.
Luna ~ Get a TV. Submit. Rot a little. Mind you, it's all on t'internet. Google and DL 'Media Hint' if you want to watch otherwise restricted to other country media.
You're welcome.