Saturday, May 16, 2009

Party Political Broadcast

For anyone considering the upcoming European Parliamentary Elections on Thursday June 4th, (as I wasn't), please bear in mind the following...

I was handed a leaflet a few days ago, from a man yelling 'Stop the BNP'. I was intrigued, so I took one.

I would've preferred it if he smiled or said 'thanks', as opposed to staring blankly at me because I look like a stocky, short-haired thug, but then I'm a paranoid conclusion-jumper.

So I read the leaflet and became somewhat worried as I was only vaguely aware of this election and didn't prioritise it as much as I would the General Election. They, on the other hand, are sacrosanct. If you can't be bothered to vote in major parliamentary elections but you call the X-Factor hotline to nominate some middle-aged Scottish singer, then you deserve to die.

Anyhoo, what bothered me about this leaflet, and why I'm writing this, is that the British National Party, our very own fascist scum play-acting as politicians in suits, could win seats with as little as 8.5% of the vote in some regions.

Our apathy could get them in.

Having a BNP Member of the European Parliament won't just make Britain look like an intolerant rabble of racist gutfucks, it'll also give the BNP credibility, not to mention a quarter of a million pounds in public money for each elected official to spend as they see fit.

So do your best to get out and vote on June 4th (unless you intend to vote BNP, in which case, the election's on the 5th). More details can be found here. Hope Not Hate is here.
Ex-Pats (called Haggis); I'm sure you can vote from Brookline.

Apologies for this rare foray into politics. Coming soon: Being humiliated on my birthday, plus all the regular bitter introspection, and the weather.

10 comments:

daisyfae said...

baby politicians always start locally. pinch them off early and often...

The Unbearable Banishment said...

We had eight years of radical intolerants in the White House and believe me, you don’t want those guys in power. They will seriously fuck up your shit. Get out there and vote, UK.

Can’t wait for the birthday humiliation post.

Dandelion said...

Yeah. Ain't nobody gonna fuck up my shit. I'm looking forward to using my vote. Hit the wankers in ballot box, that'll teach 'em.

Z said...

I suppose we'll be told who the candidates are eventually. Since we stopped having our own constituency MEPs and now vote in a blanket way for East Anglia, I haven't known who any of them are. Mind you, a decade or so ago, my MEP, who I'd really liked and respected, was caught fiddling his expenses and had to resign. My judgment is evidently rubbish.

I'll vote, however, of course. I've been voting since before you were born and I've not missed an election yet; not even the Parish Council.

theperpetualspiral said...

I think the BNP winning a seat or two would be just the shot across the bows that the mainstream parties need at the moment.

Dandelion said...

I don't. There can never be any excuse for voting BNP. Especially when there are so many other really wacky options to pick. Anyone see the party political broadcast from the Greens last night? Wicked. And even the English Democrats look good. This election is going to be so much fun.

McTodd said...

"...a quarter of a million pounds in public money for each elected official to spend as they see fit."

A QUARTER OF A MILLION EACH?

Never mind voting for them, I think I'll join...

I got to see BNP people up close at the last council elections a few years ago when my ex- stood for the Lib-Dems (he got nowhere) and I went along to the count to lend him moral support (or the nearest equivalent I could muster) and let me tell you this, when you see BNP types in the flesh, they don't look like much of a master race...

fwengebola said...

df ~ Are you advocating politicide? Good. I concur.
UB ~ I'm very fond of the idea that you think this blog is seen by more than 6 people in the UK. And sadly, Bush and his pals look like gay, liberal tree-huggers compared to the BNP. In truth, they're pretty much rascist skinhead thugs in a cheap suit trying to look moderate.
Dand ~ That's the spirit; kick 'em in the otherwise apathetic ballot box. Or something.
Z ~ Politicians fiddle their expenses? Bloody hell! And I consider myself told - I'm glad you vote for everything. You may now vote for Britain's got the X Factor in their eyes.
Thepsps ~ Yes, it would give them a kick up the arse whilst validating a bunch of neo-Nazi fuckbuckets. Bit of a poisoned chalice, that one.
Dand ~ The English Democrats? Why, they sound delightful! If not very British. Oh. I just checked out their website. They have a whiff of Fuck Jock and Taffy about them. I'm surprised I can't see the phrase "Political Correctness gone mad!" either.
McT ~ Harharharhar!! I'm going to check out your blog immediately, if only to stare at your prof pic!
There's no doubt in my mind that they're as visually appealing as a turd in an ashtray. My concern's always been their desire to make said ash-covered stool look like a beach in Barbados.
Okay, Skegness, then. More British.

Z said...

I said I vote in every election, not that I vote for everything. I won't flatter you by suggesting you misunderstood.

fwengebola said...

*cough*