Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Intriguing

Intrigue #1 ~ Dawn Porter: which links to not the greatest of reviews. At one point, the journalist refers to her as 'White Noise'. But what a lovely, charming and attractive young woman. I've been watching her Therouxesque journeys through dating and relationships via Channel 4 On Demand, because a) I wasn't even aware this programme existed and it's the kind of easy gonzo telly I'm a sucker for and b), It's a lot easier to watch them than it is to write a book.

I heartily recommend the Ukrainian Brides episode. If you happen to think - as I do - that all men are basically idiots, this won't change your opinion in the slightest.

I also doubt that she hasn't had a relationship in four years. Even I have. That statement just makes for better copy. After all, the series wouldn't seem quite as 'raw' if she had a boyfriend and kept banging on about him every ten minutes, like I would if I went near Dawn for three-quarters of a second.

Intrigue #2 ~ Jesus Christ, Venereal Disease!!!

Intrigue #3 ~
Days passed: 23
Routes cycled to/ from work: 34
Lengths swum: 147
Lbs lost: 5.5
Cigarettes smoked: 83 (erm, 83???) and counting.
Beers/ Spirits drunk: 7 pints, 3 bottles of wine - the latter in the one evening.
Drugs snorted: 0, regrettably.

And I've just realised that Bridget Jones' initials are BJ.

Intrigue #4 ~

The book is, well, slowly continuing. It currently stands at some 65,000 words, which is a good 15k on the original draft, which was godawful. Now it's just awful.

Babysteps.

12 comments:

Miss Milk said...

What's the significance of"B.J.?"

Miss Milk said...

What's the significance of"B.J.?"

Z said...

Something of a crush, Fweng?

It depends in part on what Dawn means by a relationship. It doesn't necessarily mean that she hasn't had a date or even a series of them, nor that she hasn't had any sexual encounters. It may be that she would like her next serious relationship to be a lifetime one and so won't settle for anything less, or that she has a peculiar personal habit, not apparent on television, that puts men off, or that she's extremely picky, doesn't get out much or simply that she's waiting for you to come into her life.

I'd not read any significance, necessarily, into a person's initials, before - although i appreciate that a fictional character's could well have some. What about your own initials?

Anonymous said...

His own initials? How about Potential Rapist?

Z said...

Whilst preferring to respect Fweng's anonymity even to the extent of not mentioning his initials, dear Anon, those were not the words I had in mind; more an ironic nudge to the lack of self-aggrandisement he gives himself.

Anonymous said...

Pathetic Retard?

Clarissa said...

Poor Jesus Christ with that venereal disease thing happening. Poor Clarissa who now shares that goddamn intrigue! God damn you Fweng!

fwengebola said...

MM ~ That was twice. Well, what do you think?
Z ~ Oh I don't doubt for a second that Dawn Porter hasn't had any action in four years but the fact remains that in the relationship stakes over that period, I'm actually winning. Not that it's a race.
I cannot reveal my initials though. Not that it's a massive secret.
Anon ~ Jew Hater.
Z ~ It's alright Zed, I'm pretty sure I know who that was anyway.
Anon ~ Jamie Harris?
Clar ~ God, sorry.

Z said...

They gave your name on that television interview.

fwengebola said...

Shit.

luna said...

Is that the same Dawn Porter who wrote a diary of her debaucheries a few years back?
No wonder she can't get laid:she's bedded just about the whole of London already.

fwengebola said...

She has? But I'm in London. I could've...
no I couldn't.