Sunday, November 11, 2007

NaNover

...for now, at least. I have finished my insane NaNoWriMo project, finally coming in at 50,615 words. And it is utter shit.

I one day (next year?) hope to re-write it into something resembling a fun, half-decent and vaguelly compelling story (Ha!) but in the meantime, I can finally get some proper sleep now that this literary albatross has been removed from around my neck.

But Shit, it is. The main character is a miserable charm-free zone (I refuse to divulge my inspiration for him other than saying 'It's me'.) Far more interesting characters simply appear from nowhere then vanish, never to be heard of again. The final chapter is slightly ambiguous and resolves nothing, and there is a historical sub-plot which seems to serve no real purpose, and is by-and-large hugely inaccurate (did people send each other texts in 19th century Tsarist Russia?)
It's not particularly funny either, which is a bit of a black mark for a lighthearted romp.

So I'm not too sure what to do. It's extremely dialogue heavy and feels like a script with occasional rambling prose at times. The thought of fleshing out all these characters I know very little about, of adding and removing chapters, of trying to tell a story I'm not too sure has any real point, other than me being able to say to women in trendy wine bars that I'm a published author (See 'Ha!', above), fills me with utter abject fear.

Other than that, it's fucking great.

10 comments:

Peach said...

Ha!

complain away said...

Thank you thank you for writing "fleshing out the characters," rather than "flushing" them out. I hear the toilet version so often it it now one of my biggest pet peeves.

Oh yeah, and congrats on the "utter shit." It's still early in the month and everyone I know is panicking....

la fille mariƩe said...

I'm very proud of you. I'm at just over 10 000 words for November, and am indeed panicking (see above comment).

British Gal Does Tokyo said...

Editing a mess is much easier than grunting out a first draft. Anything is easier than the first draft (except, of course, heart surgery without anesthesia, or being devoured by bears; those really hurt).
There's hope for you yet: your novel sounds like most Hollywood block busters.

Vi vi vi vooom!!!!!!!! said...

I'm sure it's not as bad as you think. Well done for finishing it! How's nothingman going with his?

fwengebola said...

Peach ~ Ha! returned.
CA ~ There may be some flushing in the future, and some plunging, bleaching and scraping. It's certainly nice to be a step ahead of the crowd. What with starting in August and all.
LFM ~ Don't panic, simply trudge ahead. It's better to have a finished turd at your disposal than the thought that you never saw your turd through to the bitter end.
Actually, all that is really horrible.
BGDT ~ I am hoping that draft 2 will be fun. I can't think about it yet. I will have to print out what I've done and see how it reads. Ugh.
Vi ~ No, it is as bad as I think, although strangely I've not read most of it. I scanned an early chapter today and can't even remember writing that bit! Nothing Man's chosen to write a fuckign trilogy. Sadly, I'm not joking,. Having said that, he seems pretty happy. He's done about 30 years background so he's well away.

Quote said...

Congratulations. I'm really proud of you. Hopefully this means you'll be writing some decent blogs soon, yeah?

fwengebola said...

Don't hold your breath.

luna said...

As long as you wrote "The End" last,anything goes.

fwengebola said...

I can't remember if I wrote that. I thing I left it on a pseudo-stupid high.