Wednesday, August 29, 2007

NaNoWriMo

Things may get a little quiet around here (or maybe not), and here's why:

I'm going to attempt a little NaNoWriMo over the coming month.

The National Novel Writing Month officially starts 1st November, and it's simple aim is for anyone so inclined to sit down and pen themselves a fiction novel at the breakneck speed of 1,667 words a day, ending up with a 50,000 word novel come the end of the month.

I've started early, and on an abstract 28th of August, because my spectacularly unremarkable idea was dying to get penned, but I urge anyone out there to consider it for the following reasons:

1. Your creative juices will be exploding on a daily basis, and that is good.
2. If you're a miserable whinging bastard like me, it'll be a welcome diversion from reality.
3. Apparently, free-time mundanities such as window shopping or channel surfing will seem like well-earned oases of near-sexual excitement once you're dedicating yourself brain-wise.
4. Not having a plot, any characters, or a general clue doesn't matter one jot. In fact, it's a requirement. Based on the principle that 'The first draft of anything is shit', NaNoWroMo demands that you just write the damn thing anyway rather than attempt The Greatest Story Ever Told for six harrowing months then give up by Chapter 3. The fun is seeing this world evolve as you begin writing your vague story and not care too much, lest your shit first draft becomes a shitter quarter of an otherwise complete novel with a fair amount of self-loathing.
5. Most important of all, it actively encourages you to force out any old crap, very much quantity over quality, resulting in some amazing things happening as your lacklustre story begins to take some kind of shape and your newborn characters get bored and start going fucking mental.

As every creative endeavour I've ever undertaken has collapsed under the self-induced weight of my perceived shitness of it, forcing myself to do this will be very interesting indeed. And yes, it will be forced. I'm on Day 2 and already I'm 1,000 words under the daily quota and boo-hoo, I'm tired.

If you're keen, I recommend you check out the NaNoWriMo website. And if you're really keen, I really recommend you buy founding member Chris Baty's book of the project, 'No Plot? No Problem!'

Go on, I dare ya.

Will I be writing a delicate story of unrequited love in fifteenth century Belgium? Or will aliens invade the Channel Tunnel and turn it into an intergalactic Starbucks? Or perhaps I may write about Ben Gefwola and his pathetic attempts to have sex. My imagination is truly remarkable. Is yours better?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it, petal. You write well x

la fille mariƩe said...

I had already planned to participate... but in November... come on, do it then, and we can be writing buddies. :)

Angela-la-la said...

Are you always this premature?

complain away said...

maybe this'll give you something to do on weekends, you miserable, whinging bastard... ;) Your writing rocks, can't wait to read the book.

Jo said...

Sounds dangerously like the writing process for the 20,000 word dissertation I've just finished. I think I'll give it a miss. But hey ho, have fun.

luna said...

I liked the London Paper's idea of publishing "text love stories".
A bit of a haiku exercise, but with the ending in sight while still an editing challenge.

TA said...

This sounds like a really interesting contest. I wish you all the best.

londongirl said...

I like the theory. Maybe I'll attempt it too...

Clarissa said...

I did it successfully a few years ago. Tried again the following year and failed. It's a matter of time. It could very well make you hate the earth even more ardently.

fwengebola said...

Anon ~ Ooh, that's nice, thank you!
LFM ~ Ordinarily yes, but I've got started now and I'm currently unable to stop.
Ang ~ Filthy mind.
CA ~ Thank you very much. You are assuming it'll be for mass consumption though. Sadly unlikely.
Jo ~ Funny, when you mention words like 'dissertation', it makes me realise I've just given myself homework
Luna ~ Oh god, and probably written in text speak.
TA ~ Thank you. Are you going to do it??
Londongirl ~ Do it, do it, do it!!!
Clarissa ~ Oh really? Bugger. I had thought it's a wave thing, one month you manage to climb that mountain, the next time round, you realise you don't have the equipment or the will.

Little Bird said...

good luck with the writing Fweng. Let me know how it goes and if I find some more time to write stuff for me, rather than the corporate machine, I'll endeavor to take part in November.

LB

P.S. Been a while since I dropped by, I like the new look!

fwengebola said...

Hello ducks! I certainly recommend giving it a go. I'd just like to get an early night's sleep and not have any weekend commitments (a stag, a wedding) this month.
Oh, and a plot and everything else.
See you soon, hopefully...

Quote said...

I bet you won't do it. I bet you a pound.

fwengebola said...

I bet you I do.
Maybe.